Useful Expression



Introduction:

Nice to see you. 

It's nice to meet you. 

I'm glad to meet you. 

I'm pleased to meet you. 

Introducing someone:

I'd like to introduce my friend to you. His name is Adi. 

Hello William, this id my friend. His name's Adi. 

Asking someone's condition

To close or familiar friends:

How's things? 

How's it going? 

How are you getting on? 

How have you been? 

I hope everything's okay! 

Quiet formal:

How's everything? 

How have you been? 

What's new? 

What's happening? 

How are you? 

Responses:

Very well, thank you 

Nothing special. 

So-so. 

Same as usual. 

Some old same old. 

Asking information

1. If you don't mind, may I ask sonething to you. 

2. Can you tell me where the place to buy a ticket is? 

3. Could you tell me if that train will go toward Jakarta? 

4. I'd like to know if Parangtritis Beach near from  here? 

5. Do you know the place where I can buy Bakpia? 

Number 4 and 5 is not polite if it is asked in beginning conversation. 

Booking a room at hotel

I'd like to to mske a reservation. 

I'd like to know if you take a reservation. 

In the reservation:

When will you be arriving? 

How will you be paying? 

I am so sorry. We take cadh only. 

How many nights you will be saying? 

Would you lije to make a reservation first? 

How many rooms do you want? 

At hotel

Have you got a reservation? 

I'm afrad you have to fill in this form. 

Have you reserve a room? 

Offering help

Mr. Wawan, would you like me to explain your room facilities? 

Do you want sone more food? 

Let me help you with explain your room facilities. 

If you need some helps, please let mr know. 

Is there abything else I can do? 

At Bank

Can I have a olastic bag? 

Could I gave some two thousands rupiah pen? 

Do you think you could lend me some money? 

Can you possibly bring those books for me? 

Could you get me a plastic bag? 

Giving instruction

Please keep well

Please, put the box under the chair. 

Please, slow down. 

Come in, please. 

Do it your selt. 

Look at this map. 

Asking to wait

Wait a moment. 

Hang on a moment. 

Half a moment 

I'll be right with you. 

Sorry, I'm a bit tidd up right now. 

1,2,3 informal but still polite. 

4 a customer service want a customer to wait a moment. 

5 a speaker is still busy (but still polite) 

Expressing approval

Bank staff: Would you also like to open a savibgs account? 

Nelly: That's fine. 

The others:

What a good idea 

What an excellent idea.

 It is not too bad, is it? 

Rano: If you don't mind, I can escort you till there by car. 

Karno: Are yiu serious? 

Is it okay for you? 

Are you sure? 

Really? 

Wow, I will be very happy. Thanks 

At Restaurant

May I take your order? 

Are you ready to order? 

Would you like to have a cup of tea? 

May I see your menu? 

Excuse me, could I have some sauce, please? 

Asking permission

May I ask you something? 

Can I ask you something? 

Could I make a suggestion? 

Do you mind if I ask something? 

Is it allright if I sit here? 

Shopping

I want to look around first. 

Can I help you? 

No thanks. I'm just looking. 

Are you looking fir anything special, Sir? 

Hello, is anyone serving here? 

Expressing praise

What a wonderful bracelet! 

How a beautiful dress! 

What a terrible weather! 

I wish I had your car! 

It us the great idea! 

Store

Greengricer: menjual buah-buahan  dan sayuran. Kadang juga telur dan susu. 

Butcher: menjual daging/ tukang daging. 

Baker: menjual roti dan kue. 

Stationery Shop: menjual kertas, pensil, balpoin dan hal-hal yang berhubungan dengan alat tulis kantor (ATK) 

Hardware Shop: menjual paku, skrup, cat, lem, dan peralatan-peralatan bangunan lainnya. 

Florist: menjual bunga. 

Newsagent: menjual joran dan majalah. Biasanya juga menjual rokok dan permen, khususnys di luar negeri. 

Asking and giving opinion

What do you think on my shoes? 

It looks good on you. 

What do you think about that style? 

According to me, that us not suitable for you. 

Personally, I feel that your hair is too short. 

What is your opinion about it? 

Making questions

When can you start to work? 

What is your hobby? 

Who is the person wesring red shirt? 

Why do you want to work here? 

Which one do you prefer, full time or part time job? 

How do you know our company? 

Asking personality

What is she like? 

She is a hard worker. 

What personality teaits do you have? 

I am active and hunorous type. 

How do you describe your selfi? 

Asking past experience

Did you open that door? 

The car was parked here. 

Where was it parked? 

Ar the Airport

Can you drive me to the airport? 

What time is your flight? 

I'd like to get to the airport by 7:00.

The airlines are now changing to check in a bag. 

Where are you flying to today? 

Any bags to check? 

May I have your passport, please? 

Asking Appologuzes

I'm sorry that we haven't got much im white gold at the moment. 

We regret to tekk that we haven't git much in white gold ar the moment. 

Please accept our apologies fir the things we have did yesterday. 

I'm sorry about my mistake. 

I owe you an apology. 

Our condition

I'm fine, thank you. 

I feel great/ I feel marvelius/ I feel fine. 

Couldn't be better. 

Fit as a fiddle. 

Very well, thanks. 

Okay. 

Alright. 

Not bad. 

Much better. 

All the better for seeing you. 

Barganing price

Could you give me a lower price? 

Can you make it cheaper? 

The price is still too high. Can you give mr a discount? 

I'll meet you halfway. 

Let's make it {10 dollars. 

Making appointment

Let us make plan to see a movie next week. 

Are you free tonight? 

Which theater? 

Where would you like to meet? 

That's a great idea. Where will we meet? 

When would it suit you? 

Certainly, I am free tonight. 

Short talk (A Birthday Party) 

What do you think about this party? 

I think this party is do colourful. 

How do you like the band perfirmance? 

I like the brand very much. 

The band perfirmance now is not too good than before. 

Short talk (First Day School) 

It's a beautiful, right? 

You have a nice classroom here, haven't you? 

This is very comfortable city to study, isn't it? 

I hear you are from Jakarta. 

I see that you enjoy this class. 

Meeting the Parents

How did you cone? 

By car. 

By bus. 

On foot. 

What subhect do you study? 

My main subject is English literature. 

Do you plsy football? 

Are you in holiday? 

Yes/No questions

Will you join us? 

Yes, thank you for the invitation.. 

Would you like to come ti the Depok Sport Centre tonight? 

I'd love to. But, so sorry. I'm sdraid I've got a headache. 

Could you cone to Jogya Fulsal Centre now to join our tean? We beed ibr more player 

Yes, with ny pleasure. 

Holiday Plan

Wgat are you doing this holiday? 

What are you goibg to do bext weekend? 

I don't gave a plan yet. 

I will go to the beach witg my family. 

Have you decide wgere you will go for the lobg weekend? 

Ending a conversation

Have a good tine. 

Have a bice time. 

Enjoy yout sleep. 

Gave s nice dream. 

I hope you have a good time. 

Exoressing gratitude

Thanks. 

Thank you very much. (tanpa s) 

Many thanks 

Thanks a lot. 

Thank you for coming (Bukan thank you for your coming) 

Thanjs for yout help. 

Thank you so much fir this. 

Responses:

Not at all. 

Don't mention it. 

You're welcome. 

Welcome. 

It's a pkeasure. 

It's OK. 

Tgat's allriggt. 

Expressing Like and Dislike

How do you like Radiohead? 

I like Yogyakarta ver much. 

I love Yogyakarta. 

I adore Radiohead. 

I am not very keen on that kind of nudic. 

I don't care much for that band. 

Asking repetition if we are not sure

Pardon? 

Sorry? 

Excuse me. 

I beg your pardon. 

Could you repeat your sentencr?. I didn't cstch what you said 

What? (Apa? It is rude, not polite) 

On the Phone

Hello, this is Anik speaking. 

Us Rudy there? 

I am calling for Mr. Danu. 

Maharani's residence. 

Who's calling, please? 

Can I speak to Ahmad? 

Could you please take a message? 

Expressing Synphaty

That's pity. 

That's terrible. 

Accept my cindolence on passing ..... 

We wish to express our condolencrs on passing .... 

I condole with the xeath of your..... 

I am sorry to hear that. 

Poor you. 

You must feel awful. 

Oh, dear. 

What's a pity? 

I'm si sorry to hear that. 

I'm awfullu sorry about..... 

Oh, hie awfully. 

Oh, dear! 

How pity you are! 

Describing someone

Warm-hearted/ friendly = ramah

Good-looking = penampilan menarik

Hard-working = pekerja keras

Bright = cerdas

Generous/ Kind = baik

Full of energy/ energetic = penuh semangat

Thoughtful/ Considerate = bijaksana

Easy-going = santai

Reliable/ responsible = bertanggung jawab

Truthful/ honest = jujur

Becoming a Member of Library

I'd like to become a member of this library. 

Can I become a member of this library? 

What are the requirements? 

How many books I can borrow? 

How long I xan borrow the books? 

Buting the Medicine

What medicine is suitable for me? 

Do you have anything for my headache? 

What do you recimmend for a sore throat? 

What do you suggest fir s fever? 

My son has got a cold. Heis five years old. May I have ghe medicine which is suitable for him? 

At Tepair Station

Should I get tune up my car? 

You should rotate the tires of your car. 

Change yout oil when it gets low. 

What type of gas should I put into it? 

How often I should tune up this car? 




Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Mastering Vocabulary

Climbing the mountain

Memorizing Adjective