Small Talk

 


A conversation is a talk, especially an informal one, between two or more people, in which news and ideas are changed. Sometimes we heard about small talk. It is a short, polite conversation about casual topics such as how your family is, the weather, or current news. Many of us struggle to start a conversation because we are afraid of saying the wrong thing. Not only starting a conversation but also confinuing and ending a conversatiion are difficult. 

Starting a Conversation:

Hi, (name). How are you? /How's it going? /What's up? Hey, (name). Long time no see. 

What's new? 

Si, how have you been? 

What have you been up to? 

So, how's it going with (program/project, etc)? 

Excuse me, are you...? 

Haven't we met somewhere before? 

I see you are... 

The weather is hot, isn't it? 

I heard that you... 

Isn't the news about ...? 

Keeping busy? 

How was your weekend? 

Do you have any plans on Sunday? 

So, what do yoi think about...? 

So, did you hear that...? 

So, I heard that you are... 

Continuing a conversation:

What do you mean? 

Interesting! Tell me more! 

What happened next? 

While I have you in the line, let me ask you about... (on the phone) 

Since you are here, let me ask you about... 

Before I forget. I wanted to talk to you about.. 

I actually want to talk to you about (topic). Do you have a minute? 

Shall we talk about... 

Anyway, let's talk about... 

There's something else I wanted to ask you. 

Speaking of... 

That reminds me of... 

Can you tell me more about...? 

Before you mentioned... what do you mean? 

Ending a Conversation:

Well, I have to go now. 

I have to run. 

I'm going to go now. 

Sorry, I must dash. 

It's been nice talking to you. 

I've enjoyed talking to you. 

Enjoy yourself. 

Have a good time. 

Sorry, I must go snd say hello to you... 

It's been very interesting talking to you. 

I've enjoyed hearing about... 

I should get going. It was nice talking to you. 

It was great talking to you. 

Well, I have a class in a few minutes. I better get going. 

I'd love to continue this conversation, but.. 

Sorry, but I think I should be going now. 

Well, I've got to go now. 

I'm sorry I have to rush off like this. 

Well, I don't want to take up any more of your time. 

When we have a conversation, we should show acknowledgement. To show acknowledgement, we can use the following expressions. 

Oh, wow!   Really?   Cool.   No way!   Oh no!   Right.   That sounds cool.   That's interesting/weird.

When the person you are speaking with understands that you are leaving, you can close the conversation by saying goodbye or using the following expressions:

Take care.   Speak to you soon.   Take it away. 


Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

How to give a presentation

Expressing opinion

Adjective