Expressing opinion



 An opinion is a view, judgnent, or appraisal in the mind about oarticular matter. When you express your opinion, you must have a reason behind the opinion. Expressing  your opinion is something we do on daily basis either at home or at school or something in between. 

ASKING FOR OPINION:

What is your opinion about...? 

What is your view about...? 

What do you think about...? 

Could you tell me Your opinion? 

Do you have an idea? 

How di you feel about...? 

Do you agree with...? 

Please tell me your opinion on...? 

Any thought about...? 

Any comment? Etc. 

GIVING/STATING OPINION:

In my opinion,... 

In my view,... 

I think (that)... 

I personally believe/think/feel...

From my point of view,... 

As I see it,... 

Aa far as I'm concerned... 

It seems to me,... 

To my mind,... 

To be honest.. . 

If you asked me, I would rather... 

I suppose... 

I feel/reckon....

According to..., ... 

I (strongly) believe... 

Personally I think... 

To be frank ... 

Honestly... 

Frankly... 

I would say... 

As far as I can see... 

It seems to me that... 

I would argue that... 

When someone states his/her opinion, you may respond it by agreeing or disagreeing with the opinion. However, when you state an opinion, someone exoresses his/her disagreement. S/he thinks that you are wrong. Inbthis situation, sometimes you feel that should defend your opinion. To do this, you may express your dusagreement politely, then show respect their opinion before sharing yourbiwn. The following table show s expressions of giving and defending opinion. 

Defending opinion:

I see your point, but I think... 

That's a good point/idea, but... 

That maybe so, but... 

Yes, I get tge point, but my opinion is that... 

I see what you'resaying, but...

You have a point there, but... 

That's very interesting, but the problem is that... 

I'm afraidI can't quite agree with your point. 

We can see whar you're saying. Here's my reply... 

I'm sorry ti interrupt, but I must respond to that. 

I think you have made a good point, but I feel... 

I agree that... but please cinsuder my point that... 

Asking One's Opinion:

1. What do you think of/about + Noun? 

What do you think of...? 

English, the film, the concert, the restaurant

What do you about...? 

Our English teacher, the novel, Indonesian music

2. What do you think of/about + Object Pronoun? 

What do you think if...?

Me, him, them, you

What do you think about...? 

Him, us

What dies he think about us? 

What dies sge think of them? 

3. What do you think of + Verb-ing? 

What do you think of going to IKN Garuda? 

Visiting the museum, eating in the restaurant, playing badminton

4. What is your opinion about/on + Object? 

What is your opinion about...? 

Me, the children, swimming, going to the cinema

What us your opinion on...? 

The situation, the matter, the politics in Indonesia. 

Expressing Opinion:

I think + Clause

I think they are diligent and smart. 

I think it is wonderful. 

I think the novel is interesting. 

I think it waa very hot yesterday. 

I think he needs to practise his English every day

In my opinion + Clause

In my opinion, you are beautiful and friendly. 

In my opinion, the children are very smart. 

In my opinion, she is pretty and very kind. 

In my opinion, that is a good idea. 

I din't think + Clause

I don't think he is smart. 

I don't think she is friendly and beautiful

I don't think it is a good house. 

Note:

I think he is not polite (x) 

I don't think he is polite. (V) 




Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

How to give a presentation

Adjective